The Dungeness Estate,by Christopher Simpson

The Dungeness Estate,by Christopher Simpson
The Dungeness Estate on Cumberland Island (as it once was.) Read more about this and other paintings by Chris at www.chrissimpsonfineart.com (Copyright-Chris Simpson Fine Art)

Wednesday, June 3, 2009




The Importance of Sketching and Drawing is so relevant to creating a painting.

It's been a while since I've blogged.
For anyone out there who'd like to know more, I'm resuming from a much needed break.

Many of you know the need for good sketches in your art if you have been doing your art for years.
Sometimes we forget just how it does help us with our idea.

Here is one example from one of my paintings "Seaside Journey," first in my Cumberland Island series which began several years ago.
I've included the finished painting along side the drawings.
These sketches or drawings were completed on Cumberland Island.
Then I study them carefully at home to decide how I want the painting to look. You see the gulls as you look at the finished oil. It's more than just copying your graphite work into your painting. I always think, where is the best placement for what I am trying to convey or how will this work out when finished. In the bottom one, notice how I have several thumbnail sketches, even one I didn't get to do. Your working with the idea here, so keep developing it.

The composition is important as I tell my students. Always or as much as you are able, carry your sketch book with you, on trips, out to eat, to the park. Inspiration strikes and it's hard to remember by words the experience you had "seen," with your eyes.
You will notice I sometimes write on my drawings. I don't advocate this always, but at the time for me it was a way to remember more than I find time for drawing and besides, dinner was almost done, ha ha.
There's something to be said about a drawing and even a loose sketch can speak volumes to you later about what you beheld in front of you in "real life." So don't be too critical of yourself when you sketch. Allow your feeling into it.

This is why life drawing is so important to all of us artist and anyone who
enjoys the process of art.

I will continue next time on the steps in between this and the finished artwork. Also check out my other blogs like the updates to student work at the Academy and my website, www.chrissimpsonfineart.com

Thanks for your interest and
keep on keeping on,
Christopher P. Simpson

No comments: