The Dungeness Estate,by Christopher Simpson

The Dungeness Estate,by Christopher Simpson
The Dungeness Estate on Cumberland Island (as it once was.) Read more about this and other paintings by Chris at www.chrissimpsonfineart.com (Copyright-Chris Simpson Fine Art)

Friday, July 19, 2013

Using different media, don't underestimate yourself or the materials

Just want to say how using something like acrylic paint has made such a difference in some of my work. Most of the paintings here have sold, so they are not available. As I have informed many of my students,  when I was coming along in school studying and doing art, acrylic paint was not as desirable as the newer paints available. In teaching others,  I've found
it to be very versatile in application as well as results. For example I am able to achieve some of the same layering I do with oils, and yet without the long cleanup time and use of solvents. The subject matter is relating to what students wanted to paint in some of my classes.
If you have never used acrylics or tend to not care for them in the past, I encourage you to give them a go and see what you can do,  you might be surprised.  Remember you don't have to get so colorful,  you can limit your palette to grays or just a little color. More on this I will be sharing next time.  Oh, and enjoy the process no matter your style.  Some of these paintings were achieved faster than others but I thoroughly enjoyed them all. I hope you do as well. 
Chris.



No comments: