The Dungeness Estate,by Christopher Simpson

The Dungeness Estate,by Christopher Simpson
The Dungeness Estate on Cumberland Island (as it once was.) Read more about this and other paintings by Chris at www.chrissimpsonfineart.com (Copyright-Chris Simpson Fine Art)

Friday, May 30, 2014

Don't Rush Art. Returning to a work of art to bring it to a completion.

The time came to complete the drawing of my Grandmother.
So as I finally had an opening in between the hectic life of day to day,
the challenge to finish and discover if I still had it in me to work as I used to so long ago in charcoal and graphite.
Getting all the values right and shape was hard, but I believed it could be achieved.
The nostalgia was so much fun to recreate as I had to choose from many old photos to study.
Yes, this process is more literal than some of the impressionist and expressionist work I've been enjoying lately.
However, if you ever do anything in this media, you'll discover the joy of working up the surface and gradually softening and shading the various tones.
One of my good artist friends likes to say, "I don't like to rush my art, especially a good drawing. I want to enjoy the process and am not in a hurry to finish." Hence the drawing here and the length of time involved in the work. Not that work done quickly is less important, but when the discipline and devotion to keep working on something, even coming back to it later, can have good results and you can tell right away the artist diligence in what their doing.
It was fun adding the lace to the matting and this created a neat effect. 
Enjoy the change and don't be in such a hurry. Remember, you can return to your artwork for a triumphant completion.
Chris
   



No comments: